Family and Medical Leave Act

Summary of Family and Medical Leave Act
The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) provides certain employees with up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave per year.  It also requires that group health benefits be maintained during the leave.

FMLA applies to public agencies, all public and private elementary and secondary schools, and companies with 50 ore more employees.  These employers must provide an eligible employee with up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave each year for any of the following reasons:
  • for the birth and care of the newborn child of an employee;
  • for placement with the employee of a child for adoption or foster care;
  • to care for an immediate family member (spouse, child, or parent) with a serious health condition; or
  • to take medical leave when the employee is unable to work because of a serious health condition.

Employees are eligible for leave if they have worked for their employer at least 12 months and at least 1,250 hours over the past 12 months.  NOTE:  Pursuant to Conn. Gen. Stat. § 31-51rr(a)(2), school paraprofessionals in an education setting who have worked only 950 hours are entitled to the same FMLA rights as those who meet the 1,250 hour requirement. 

For more information please refer to: Need Time? The Employee's Guide to the Family and Medical Leave Act or Employee Rights and Responsibilities Under the Family and Medical Leave Act.  These publications were developed by the United States Department of Labor.

 For you convenience we have attached the following forms:  Application for Family or Medical Leave and Fitness for Duty Medical Certification.  We ask that you complete the application to request FMLA leave and send it to the Business Office along with a note from your physician or a note from your immediate family members physician.  The Business Office will provide documentation to your schools' main office or Pupil Services.  Please provide the Business Office with the Fitness for Duty Medical Certification upon your return from FMLA leave for your own medical leave. 

Recording of Time
It is the employees responsibility to enter their time into AESOP.  In general, if you personally have a medical condition that keeps you from performing your duties, you will be required to use personal illness time.  If an immediate family member needs care, you should enter family illness or personal leave time (some contracts allow employees to use a certain number of personal illness days as well).  If you have a question regarding the type of time to record you may refer to your union contract, contact your principal or the Business Office.